The only truly keto-friendly protein bar on the market is from Adapt Your Life, Dr. Eric Westman’s company. Low-carb (2 grams), moderate protein (5 grams), and high-fat (8 grams), these tasty little morsels give keto dieters an on-the-go option for a quick snack or the occasional dessert-like treat. The Coffee Shots are designed to be a convenient travel option for making Bulletproof-style coffee, with coconut oil, MCT oil, and butter, sweetened with just a touch of stevia.
On this episode of keto chat, Mikayla and Carole sample:
- Cookies and Cream Adapt Bar
- Lemon Cheesecake Adapt Bar
- Chocolate Adapt Bar
- Vanilla Coffee Shot
- Hazelnut Coffee Shot
Have you tried any of the Adapt Your Life products?
Which is your favorite?
Keto Chat Episode 16 is with my intern, Mikayla. She is an undergrad at Seattle University and nearly finished with her bachelor of science degree in sports and exercise science.
What we talk about:
- How she originally found keto
- What it was like starting a ketogenic diet while in college in San Diego
- What health improvements she’s experienced
- Who else she’s converted to keto and their motivation to keep going for long-term health
- Her keto struggles and tips for navigating them
- What she plans to do after graduation
What health improvements have you notice on keto?
The Hypnotic Nutrition taste testers are back again sampling some very high fat, heavy whipping cream. Along with Carole and Mikayla, this time we also have guest taste tester Daniel Andras, Registered Dietitian and self-proclaimed “fat snob”. Did we all agree on our favorite and least favorite?
The heavy cream and heavy whipping cream we tasted:
Darigold 36% Heavy Whipping Cream – about $3.29 for a pint
Trader Joe’s Organic Heavy Whipping Cream – $3.99 for a pint
Twin Brook Heavy Cream – $3.49 for a pint (plus $1.95 deposit for glass jar)
Pure Eire Organic Heavy Cream – $3.49 for 1/2 pint
What we talk about in the video:
- Carrageenan vs. Gellan gum
- Grass-fed nutrition benefits
- Holstein vs. Jersey cow milk
- Pasteurized vs. raw milk and the benefits of each
- Benefits of buying milk in glass containers vs. cartons
- Homogenized vs. non homogenized milk products
- A1 casein vs. A2 casein and how one might be better for dairy sensitivities
- The breakdown of fat content of whole milk, cream, heavy cream, and heavy whipping cream
What are you hungry for us to taste next?
Let us know in the comments below.
Keto Chat Episode 14 is with Randy Webb, Licensed Professional Counselor in Arizona and Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Washington. Randy was my counseling internship supervisor when I was completing my graduate degree in 2012, and at that time, he was a vegetarian. When I went to visit Phoenix in March 2016, I was excited to talk to Randy about a couple of the therapies he’s passionate about. But then I discovered that he had a big surprise for me regarding his diet!
What we talk about:
- Randy’s surprise development of metabolic syndrome, fatigue, sleep trouble, and kidney issues when he was eating, what he thought was, a health diet.
- His journey from a low-fat, high carb, vegetarian diet to a lower carb, omnivorous diet
- Who inspired Randy to look at his diet and give up oatmeal and consider eating sardines for breakfast
- What health improvements he’s seen since changing his diet
- Which dietary change had the biggest impact on his health markers
- How Randy became interested in hypnotherapy
- How trauma can lead to mindless eating, emotional eating, or stress eating and what can be done about it
- How EMDR therapy empowers a person to build their own internal resources for health and well-being as opposed to other talk therapy that focuses on identifying and changing what is “wrong” with a person
For my Keto Chat Episode 13, I sat down with John DePalma, instructor at Seattle University and physical therapist, and discovered his very interesting journey of learning to listen to his body for healing and optimal diet.
Take a listen as John shares some very interesting stories:
- Qualifying for Olympic long-distance kayak racing team
- How he discovered that eating a higher fat diet optimized his athletic performance
- His stint volunteering with the Jesuits in social ministry
- What he ate while living in France and how it changed his blood lipids
- How he used fasting, followed by a lower-carb and higher-fat diet, to change blood lipids
- His tips for listening to your body for what to eat and how to move (exercise)
- And so much more.
Nutritionist Carole Freeman gets together with her intern Mikayla and Jim Kellner, Hypnotist and Comedian, to taste test 4 different kinds of butter and share their favorite ways to incorporate butter into their daily meals.
What do we talk about in this video?
- Does grass-fed Kerrygold butter live up to the hype?
- Which butter tastes like butter-flavored butter?
- Why is some butter salted and other butter not salted?
- What is CLA and why have people been duped into spending money on it?
- And don’t miss Jim’s secret for dropping 10 more pounds in the last month.
What is your favorite way to eat butter? Have you ever eaten butter on cheese?
I’m trying out a new format this month for my ketogenic diet update – video!
If you are new to this series, you can catch up on all my monthly updates: Month 1, Month 2, Month 3, Month 4, Month 5, Month 6, Month 7, Month 8, Month 9, Month 10
What do I talk about in my 11 month update?
- My weight
- What I’m eating
- Update on dairy-free: will I continue dairy free?
- Hair regrowth: does hair loss mean keto is bad for my thyroid?
- Ketone blood strips: Have I been doing keto wrong all this time?
- MCT oil vs. coconut oil: which is better in coffee for ketosis?
- Why do some people get hungry after drinking Bulletproof coffee?
- My opinions on carb ups (spoiler alert: don’t do it!)
- Continuing health issues after car accident: leg pain and central apnea
Here is the Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore and Doc Nally, that I reference, where they talk about carb ups being unnecessary for women.
Are you struggling with your keto diet? Or maybe you’re ready to try it out for the first time? Check out my 90-Day Keto Diet Challenge Program. I give you easy formulas to meet your macros, weekly live webinars with me, menus and shopping lists, plus group support.